Keeping You and Your Family Safe

Electricity is a huge part of our everyday lives, yet it still poses its hazards and risks. Here’s a list of how to practice electrical safety and make sure you are being responsible.

  1. Make sure your equipment is properly connected, grounded, and working.
  2. Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring.
  3. Plug high amperage equipment such as space heaters, portable air conditioners, and others directly into permanent wall receptacles.
  4. Unless you are specifically qualified and authorized to, do not access, use, or alter circuit breaker panes.
  5. Make sure your breaker panel(s) are up to date.
  6. Do not use exposed electrical equipment in wet environments, as they can increase the risk of electrical shocks.
  7. Use surge protectors if you live in an area prone to lightning strikes or violent voltage.
  8. Stay away from downed power lines and exposed electrical wires.

Keeping Your Furry Friends Safe

  1. Keep cords away from pets and plugged in but unused cords. This is a simple one, but it is often overlooked, especially with phone chargers and laptop chargers. Any plugged in cord can be a risk if a pet chews on it. They could receive quite the nasty shock. Younger pets especially are at a higher risk since they are smaller. You can put heavy plastic sleeves on any cords that are exposed or ask a local pet store for bitter tasting products to put on the cord to deter your pets
  2. Make sure all appliances are fully plugged in. Curious animals can find even the smallest amount of a partially exposed prong. Check and see if everything within their reach is fully plugged in and no prongs are exposed.
  3. Have all appliances near water plugged into an outlet equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This prevents the flow of electricity into any device plugged into the outlet if a problem occurs. A pet could knock something like a curling iron into the sink and create a very dangerous situation.
  4. Do not let your pets sleep behind electrical items. It might seem cute that they are drawn to the warmth, but it can be very dangerous. So keep an eye on your pets and keep them away from electrical connections.


Did You Or A Pet Make Contact With An Electrical Connection?

If you think your pet has chewed on a cord or made contact with an electrical source, check for evidence of burns, increased drooling, difficulty breathing, and signs of pain. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you detect any of these symptoms.

If you have come into contact with an electrical source and received a high voltage shock (500 volts or more) seek immediate medical care at a hospital. 

For low voltage shocks, seek immediate medical attention if you have been unconscious for any period of time, have numbness, paralysis, visions, hearing or speech problems, difficulty breathing, or seizures. 

For low voltage shocks that did not result in the above symptoms, you should still contact your doctor if your burns are not healing, your burns increase in redness or soreness, or you are pregnant and have received any type of shock. 

Have Electrical Issues?

Proudly servicing the Cleveland area since 1976, Stack Heating, Cooling, & Electric offers the best service and craftsmanship. Our team of local electricians is ready and willing to visit your home or office for a safety review of your entire electrical system. We can let you know if any upgrades may better protect your family and property. Whether it’s electrical repairs, installations, or consultations, we’re ready to help you today. Call us at (440) 937-9134 or visit our website.

Have Any Questions?

If this is an emergency please call 440-937-9134.

Otherwise, please feel free to call us or submit this form to schedule an appointment for service or request an estimate. We will contact you shortly!