When you’re investing in new HVAC equipment, it’s vital to hire a contractor who has the necessary skills and experience. A knowledgeable contractor should assess the dwelling, as well as the existing equipment and ductwork system, and give you expert advice about different energy efficiency options. Asking the following questions can help you find the right contractor for the job:
- Are you licensed? Ask your HVAC contractor whether they’re licensed through the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board, and if they belong to the ACCA (Air Conditioning Contractors of America). If their technicians are trained to the standards that ensure quality installation services, they’ll have NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification.
- Are you fully insured? The State of Ohio requires that HVAC contractors carry both commercial GCL (general liability insurance) and Workers’ Compensation coverage to protect their customers against damages that may occur to the home, and possible employee injuries on the job.
- How do you determine the equipment size? When replacing existing HVAC equipment, a reputable and experienced contractor won’t rely on a rule of thumb to determine the correct size. Ask your contractor if they perform a detailed load calculation based on the home’s square footage, insulation level, effective ductwork design and other key factors.
- Can you provide equipment operating-cost comparisons? To help you weigh the lifetime costs of various options, a contractor should advise you on the yearly operating costs for equipment with different seasonal energy efficiency ratios (SEER) and heating seasonal performance factors (HSPF).
- Do you offer maintenance service agreements? If the answer is yes, ask for details on what is included and excluded in the plans offered, as well as the annual costs.
- Can you give me a detailed written estimate? A reliable HVAC contractor will give you a written bid that outlines the scope of the work they’ll perform, the equipment they’re installing, a breakdown of the costs, the warranty details and their follow-up service guarantee.
If you’d like to learn more about the key questions you should ask before hiring an HVAC contractor in the Greater Cleveland area, contact us at Stack Heating & Cooling.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Lisa F. Young/Shutterstock”