Through the years electricity has improved our lives and these days it’s very hard to live without it. Electricity keeps your home warm and bright, but it is important to keep an eye out for any electrical safety risks. This article features some tips on how to spot any electrical issue. Some of these can be prevented and some of these should be handled by a qualified professional.   

Replacing Damaged Cords

There are multiple reasons why wires and cords can be damaged. Pulling or yanking a cord instead of the actual plug can cause the wire to wear out. It is best to pull plugs directly out of the sockets to prevent this. Wires can be pinched or damaged by pets or doors, so you should always keep an eye out for any cut or pinched wires. Exposed wires are dangerous and can lead to electric shocks and electrical fires. It is best to throw out or replace these wires. You can attempt to fix them with tape, which does not conduct any electricity, however, it is usually best to replace them for optimum performance as well as minimizing electrical safety risks.

Not Overloading Outlets 

Power outlets are meant to distribute a certain amount of electricity. If you plug too many things in at once into an outlet it could cause it to overload or overheat and could cause a fire. It is best to use a power strip instead of overloading the outlet. Power strips have multiple outlets attached to them, which can redistribute the electrical flow. Power strips can overheat too so it is best to be careful with how many devices you have plugged in. Make sure power strips are not being covered, as this could trap heat and lead to overheating. They’re not foolproof; they could be a tripping hazard or a fire hazard. It is an alternative to overloading outlets but it comes with its own risks. These risks could be just as dangerous as an overloaded outlet if not monitored. 

Checking on Flickering Lights

Flickering lights can be caused by something as simple as a loose lightbulb or something as complex as loose wiring. Outdated electrical panels could also be causing your lights to flicker. The flickering could be in one bulb or in a section of the house. If lights are flickering, first try replacing the light bulbs. If the issue persists then it would be time to call an electrician. There could be underlying issues with your wiring and a certified, trained, and qualified professional is the best person for the job.

Water Exposure 

Water and wires do not mix well. Water is charged with ions and metals at times, and because of that, it can conduct electricity. It is recommended to keep electrical appliances away from water. Do not handle wires with wet hands, as this could cause electric shock. It is important to also never use water on an electrical fire and use a fire extinguisher instead. Pouring water on an electrical fire could cause a major electric shock or could worsen the fire.  

Need Help Fixing an Electrical Issue?

There is only so much you can do on your own to ensure electrical safety. A certified and qualified professional can inspect and treat electrical safety issues quickly. At Stack we know how important it is to keep your home as safe as possible. It is best to not tamper with anything advanced. Messing with your home’s electrical can damage it further or cause even more issues. If you need help, call Stack at (440) 294-8963 or visit our website!

Have Any Questions?

If this is an emergency please call 440-937-9134.

Otherwise, please feel free to call us or submit this form to schedule an appointment for service or request an estimate. We will contact you shortly!