While often overlooked, duct sealing is a great way to improve HVAC efficiency in your home, thereby saving money and energy among other benefits. So what are a few of these benefits?
- Indoor air quality. Your ducts can easily be invaded by fumes from garden and household chemicals, dust, and insulation particles. Sealing ducts will therefore help alleviate allergies associated with these particles and fumes.
- Home comfort. Sealing your ducts will result in a more comfortable home rather than one that is overheated in the summer and too chilly in the winter.
- Safety. Duct sealing contributes to a safe home, as gas appliances such as furnaces, water heaters and clothes dryers release carbon monoxide and other combustion gases through their ventilation systems. If your ductwork is leaking, these gases may be “backdrafted,” meaning they enter your home instead of being released outdoors.
- Environmental protection. The less energy you use in your home, the more you are contributing to a healthier planet. Most homes’ energy sources are fossil fuel-burning power plants, which contribute to smog, acid rain and overall climate change. Duct sealing allows heating and cooling units to use less energy.
- Money saved. A final benefit is the money you will save. Duct sealing lowers energy bills by allowing heating and cooling systems to run more efficiently. Sealed ductwork can also help if you are wanting to replace your current system, as you will be able to install a smaller, more efficient, less expensive version. A new system will also result in less humidity in your home.
For more expert advice on ductwork and other issues relating to home comfort, please contact us at Stack Heating and Cooling. We have proudly served the Greater Cleveland area since 1976.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about duct sealing and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock