If you’re a homeowner, you’re probably aware how important furnaces are for the well-being of your household. One thing you probably don’t know, however, is what your heating system’s AFUE rating is and why it’s important. If that’s true, you don’t need to worry, as it can be a very simple concept to understand.
AFUE stands for annual fuel utilization efficiency, and it’s very important to be aware of it when looking for a new furnace. AFUE measures the ratio of the furnace’s total heat output against the total amount of energy it uses. For example, a furnace with a 90 percent AFUE rating converts 90 percent of it’s total energy into heat for your home. The other 10 percent is simply wasted energy. While you don’t see any of that wasted energy, that doesn’t mean it won’t show up on your heating bills. That’s why the AFUE rating is so important to consider when looking at potential furnaces. It can go a long way towards saving you some money.
Initially, an upgrade to a high-efficiency furnace with a great AFUE rating is going to put a dent in your wallet. If you’re currently using a heating system with an AFUE rating well under 90 percent, however, then there’s a good chance an upgrade would be worth it in the long run. While they cost more initially, high-efficiency furnaces cut down on wasted energy, which, in turn cuts down on your fuel bills.
When you’re considering furnaces for your household, look for one with an AFUE rating somewhere in the range of 95 to 99 percent.
For help determining which system is best for your home, contact the professionals at Stack Heating, Cooling, Plumbing and Electric.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about AFUE ratings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Stack Heating services Cleveland, Ohio and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!