Have you had enough of the unpredictable Ohio weather? Thinking about having professionals install that new heat pump you’ve always wanted?
Not only are the models of heat pumps and installation professionals you choose important, preparing your home can bring additional energy cost cuts. Follow these steps to ensure top performance of your new heat pump while reducing heating and cooling costs.
What to do before your heat pump selection and installation
- Request a load calculation, which ensures your new heat pump can handle the energy capacity for your home.
- Schedule a duct sizing evaluation to look for and remedy leakage and make sure duct measurements are in line with your new heat pump’s needs.
- Replace outdated insulation around windows and doors to create airtight barriers.
- Check for any obstructions in and around the openings and tops of your existing/new units.
Oversizing your equipment can cause unnecessary starting and stopping of your new heat pump. You can install a smaller heat pump with shorter ductwork and save money on the installation costs and maintenance and repair costs by doing it right the first time.
Let your technician know you want return registers in each room, giving your home even heating and cooling throughout the seasons. Other tasks your technician can do:
- Inspect your ducts, filters and blower for dirt and other obstructions.
- Diagnose and seal duct leakage.
- Verify correct thermostat operation.
As an educated, proactive homeowner, you can protect your system and ensure a longer lifespan of the equipment by checking the air filters monthly and cleaning or replacing as necessary.
For more information on new heat pumps and other HVAC related issues, contact the experts at Stack Heating & Cooling. We’ve proudly served the greater Cleveland area since 1976.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock