The question of whether to repair or replace a home heating or cooling system is one that most homeowners eventually face. On the one hand, repairing an existing system requires a smaller upfront financial outlay, but if your furnace or air conditioner needs frequent service, it often makes more sense to simply buy a new system rather than continually repair an aging one that breaks down frequently. Over time, the repair bills will add up, and you can end up paying a lot of money just to maintain a system that may be reaching the end of its life.
Here are some important factors to consider if you’re facing a “repair or replace” dilemma:
- The age of your current furnace or air conditioner: If your furnace or air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it’s usually better to replace than repair — you’ll enjoy improved performance, superior energy efficiency and better reliability.
- The stability of your utility bills: If your heating and cooling costs are rising, this is a signal that your HVAC equipment isn’t running as efficiently as it used to, and could require repair.
- The operational efficiency of your current components: New furnaces and air conditioners run at much higher efficiencies than equipment that was manufactured as recently as five years ago, so it might be worthwhile to invest in new appliances that will use less energy. This will be a boon both to the environment and your home’s operational budget.
- The frequency of required repairs: Aging equipment that needs frequent repairs should almost always be replaced, since the cost of maintaining your current equipment will outweigh the investment you’ll need to make to replace it.
- Your future plans regarding your home: If you’re going to be moving soon, you’ll face a choice: avoid investing in new equipment and getting a lower resale price, or installing new equipment and enjoying a premium on your resale price.
If you’re considering a furnace upgrade, contact the friendly pros at Stack Heating & Cooling. We’ve been providing residents of the greater Cleveland area with affordable expert service since 1976.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about whether to repair or replace and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Stack Heating services Cleveland, Ohio and the surrounding areas. Visit our websiteto see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.