If you’re looking for ways to slash your energy bills, installing a programmable thermostat is one of the easiest, most affordable ways to increase your air conditioning system’s efficiency.
Here are some features to keep in mind when shopping for a programmable thermostat:
- Seven-day programming – Multiple-day settings are common but make sure your new model can be set for each day of the week. It gives you maximum flexibility with the settings.
- Touchpad technology – Touchpads allow for a larger screen, organized display and mistake-free programming.
- Remote programming capabilities – Your schedule will inevitably change fairly often, whether it’s because you got stuck in traffic or you decided to go to happy hour. You need a programmable thermostat that will allow you to change your settings while you’re away so you can maximize your savings.
- Hold/vacation features – You should not use the hold feature on a regular basis because it decreases efficiency. That said, it is very useful for special occasions and vacations since you can set a temporary override and then return to the regular settings with a single button.
- Filter change alerts – A dirty filter robs your entire system of efficiency and strains your equipment. It’s very useful to have a gentle reminder when it’s time to change or clean your filters and keep your air comfortable and clean.
- Maintenance alerts – If you have a service light in your car, you already know how useful these alerts are. You want to know about any issues before they become big problems so you can avoid surprise breakdowns and large repair bills.
- Adaptive smart technology – Some new thermostats “learn” from your behaviors and tweak the programmed settings to increase efficiency and savings even more.
- Match it to your equipment and install it correctly – Your programmable thermostat needs to be compatible with your equipment. It also needs to be installed in the right place, wired and programmed correctly. An HVAC professional can help you make sure this is all done well.
To ensure your new programmable thermostat is installing and programmed correctly, contact Stack Heating & Cooling. We have more than 35 years of service to greater Cleveland homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock